About Doreen Garlid and her vision for Tempe
Doreen approaches policy decisions with an open mind. She takes a pragmatic approach to leadership that operates from a place of shared values and common goals. With three decades of community leadership and bringing together people of diverse backgrounds, Doreen Garlid wants to put her vision and experience to work for Tempe. Under Doreen's leadership, many local community groups and organizations have thrived.
Among her many leadership roles:
- Board of Directors for Tempe Impacts Education (TIE) Foundaiton
- Tempe Leadership Class XXXIV
- Chair of the Tempe Neighborhood Advisory Commission
- President of the Tempe Buena Vista Ranchos Home Owners Association
- President of the National Charity League, Inc. East Valley
- President of Waggoner Elementary School Parent-Teacher Organization
- President of the Kyrene Middle School Parent-Teacher Organization
- Vice-President of Seton Catholic Preparatory School Parent-Teacher Organization
- Umpire Chair and Secretary for Tempe South Little League
- Board of Directors for Developing Workers
- Tempe Dementia Friendly Champion
- Girl Scout Leader
- Membership in a variety of local civic organizations including Kiwanis Club of Tempe and Tempe Sister Cities
- Human Rights Campaign Member
- Former Newsroom Business Manager for KSAZ-TV Fox 10 News in Phoenix
Doreen Garlid also serves as a Mission Team Member and Medications Coordinator for Mobilize Medical, a role in which she's offered herself in service to over 8,000 people in countries all over the world, including Haiti, Honduras, Swaziland, Bangladesh, Dominican Republic, Cambodia, India, Kenya, and Nicaragua.
She is a wife, a mother of four grown children, and often gives community presentations titled, "My Mother's Navajo Stories" to keep the stories of her rich Navajo heritage alive.